Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My QA House and Postcards

I received two more postcards over the weekend. This one is from Anna. Isn’t it great?
















And this lovely one is from Mags.
















Quilting Arts magazine had a “Doorway to Imagination” challenge back in their April/May issue. Some of the entries are in the newest issue out now. I figured I would show the piece that I made.

Here’s what I did…

Once I chose which door I wanted to use, I went to work creating a surrounding for it. I manipulated a photo of a brick wall in PSP8 and then printed it onto cotton fabric.

Using PSP8 again I used a portion of another one of my photos and composed my own words on it. Through manipulation I made sure they were in place where I needed them to be so you would not see them until you opened the door and then printed it onto cotton fabric. This was fused into place behind the door frame.

The door frame is constructed of two pieces of painted stabilizer which I cut out and glued together to give it the 3-dimensional look. The stones around the door and the stone steps are painted peltex glued into place.

I manipulated an image until I got what I needed for the front and back door panels and printed onto fabric. A thin magnetic sheet is sandwiched between the door panels and another piece of the magnetic sheet is glued in place behind the background fabric to hold the door closed. The window in the door is a piece of acetate. I drew the wrought iron on using a permanent pen. The hinges and the door knob are pieces of faux leather. The hinges are glued to the door panel and then stitched to the door frame.
The shrubbery and pathway are fused onto the background. I then free motion quilted the piece. The binding was fused then stitched into place.

as usual click on image for better viewing...





















With the door open….






















I had intended to do some hand embroidery where the shrubbery is, but time got short on me and I used the commercial fabric instead.

Now I am off to read through 150+ emails. Sheeesh!

14 comments:

Dianne said...

Your doorway is fantastic!! The whole design is wonderful......

Granny Fran said...

Spectacular! Both the concept and the visuall impact! You have a wonderful imagination!

Conni said...

Lovely work!

Sue B said...

Love what you did with the door challenge Micki.

Kim said...

Beautiful work Micki! I like so many of the design elements - especially the brickwork and the wrought iron.

Julie said...

Fantastic! What a lot of work too!

Barbara said...

gorgeous! Love the door!

Cara said...

wow!

Cat said...

Simply enticing doorway! The stones around are so neat - and the brick work... it's wonderful!

ANDREA said...

Hello Micki, this piece is like a fairytale! great concept!
It makes me want to touch it and open and close the door:)
Have a nice day,
Andrea

Gunnels blog said...

Micki, yor door is wonderful!

Susan said...

Hi!
Thanks for dropping by my blog. I've really enjoyed looking at your recent art too. The purple lutrador and lace work is quite interesting. The subtle textures are very, very nice. Yet, the door is even more amazing. The clarity of the words mixed with the mystery of the bricks images is captivating. The thoughts expressed are really wonderful too. Great work.
Susan

Waltraud said...

Wonderful, it is like painting.

Deb Geyer said...

What a great doorway!